Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lesson's Learned

When I was younger and more stubborn, I decided to go back to college after taking some time off and working for a year or so. I was working as a student aid for about 10-20 hours a week- my only source of income.
Long story short, I had no money but I was too proud to admit this and move home. Instead I opened a credit card and started paying for rent with it.
In no time at all, I opened another one with zero percent interest on balance transfers and transfered the balance to that one. And then another, and another. When all was said and done I had five credit cards open with balances on each. By the time I stopped charging things, I had over $5000 in credit card debt.
I haven't charged anything for over a year. I've learned my lesson on that. I am in the process of becoming truly debt free. I want to do this now and start great money saving/spending habits.
Drum roll please...
I just hit submit on my LAST credit card payment!!!! I am so excited!

6 comments:

Michelle F said...

that's awesome Katie! i am Sure it feels good! Wish I could say the same for us!!

Amanda Kay said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is absolutely awesome!!

Sharyn said...

wooohoooo!!!! Congrats!!!

Pete/Heidi said...

Congratulations! <:) Heidi

Karen said...

We always wondered how you could live on so little. We thought you were such a good money manager. I am glad to hear you have learned from it. Your car is almost paid off too.

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Man, that's got to feel good!! Way to go!