Monday, November 12, 2007

A Hunting We Will Go...

My db, Aaron, decided to try his hand at bow hunting this year. So he went out two weekends to the camp with the boys... And lo and behold, on his second try he shot a doe... It was a bad shot, he tells me, but a shot nonetheless. One that wounded the deer enough that I have to learn how to cook venison.

Any ideas?

I'm not opposed to the idea of cooking venison. Just a little nervous. I remember having it at friends houses when I was younger and I remember liking it. I haven't had it in years though- my father and my brothers are not hunters. We'll see how that goes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like venison in recipies that already have a lot of seasoning or sauce in them, so that the difference between it and beef isn't so obvious...like spaghetti or lasagna. Nice thing about venison is that it's really lean! Not as much nasty fat to drain. :) (miss you, btw!)

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

I so wish I had your attitude! :) Good luck with recipes!

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

Venison is among my favorite meats, and does do generally taste better than bucks. If you had a butcher dress it out for you and have lots of roasts and chops and steaks (and burger), there are a lot of venison cookbooks out there. General rule of thumb: Steaks rare-to-medium, roasts the same (about 140 degrees interior temp), and you cook the heck out of the stew meat - it takes about an hour longer to submit to your will than does beef.

And if you do burgers or meatballs, add a bit of bread crumbs to them; it will keep them moist, especially since venison is so lean.

Good luck!