Friday, September 5, 2008

Laugh and Be Happy

My picture for today is for Leanne. (And let me know if you don't want me to link your blog!) Leanne and I are cousins. When I was around seven years old, she began writing to me. Letters, I mean. We were pen-pals. I don't know if I ever asked why or how she picked me to write to. Interesting. Leanne?

I remember being in awe of her. There are a few years between us and I couldn't believe that I was special enough for Leanne to take notice of. We lived in different states- still do, and didn't see each other very often at all (which is the case with most of my cousins.) I vividly remember being at my grandparents when Leanne was there and she had one long fingernail (maybe you had all long fingernails, but I remember just looking at one...) That was so cool. I couldn't keep my fingernails long if I tried. (Remember I was 7-8 years old at this time.)

Anyway, we wrote to each other for a quite few years and then this and that got in the way- mainly I became a very poor correspondent. But even though I wasn't much of a letter writer, Leanne still remembered my high school graduation and sent me this:


I asked her about it recently as we have gotten back in touch and she could not recall the pig. So Leanne, there it is. And it still makes me smile every time I see it!

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Hi, Katie! How sweet of you to post that picture - it really made my day! I do sort of remember it now, and am less embarrassed than when you described it to me. That pig is CUTE! I can hear it laughing. I have NO IDEA how we became penpals. I guess I just knew then how sweet you were and as we're reacquainted, I realize that hasn't changed! So if you wer about 7...how old was I...14 or 15? My memory doesn't go that far back, but I vividly remember writing and receiving letters. Thanks for those sweet memories and your kind blog entry. You are darling. XOXO