Wednesday, July 11, 2007

In Our Own World

When I was at home I brought up the rest of my stuff from downstate. As a result of going through those boxes, I thought I would share this. I titled it "In Our Own World"

*******************************************************************

"Gramma! You won again?!" We sighed in unison, making sure there would be no doubt in anyones mind of our disappointment. Gramma always won at Skip-Bo.

Megan and I looked at each other, rolled our eyes, then quickly got away. Experience had taught us a fast escape was best if we didn't want to be saddled with one or more of our siblings.

Ringing the cast iron bell as we scampered down the wooden steps and behind the house, we plotted our next great escape. The world was opening before our eyes. The familiar dirt path led straight up making it hard for short lets to pull my wisdom of nine years to the top of the hill. Branches of the surrounding pines and birches wore evidence of my hands. Mine, and those of many visitors to this sacred hill.

Once at the top, Megan and I gazed over Lake Superior. From my throne at the top, I could see all the way to Canada! Anything was possible on these trips out to the sand hill. All we had to do was take that leap.

We looked at each other, grabbed sweaty hands, took a deep breath- and soared. Landing with a thump and a giggle, we took off down the sand hill, our laughter floating to join our dreams in the sky.

As we made it to the bottom, the sand giving way under bare toes, we were pleased this hadn't caused a head over heels tumble. Then how to get the dirt out of our clothing before going back to the house? No worry, we weren't heading back to the house for several lifetimes anyway.

The Superior waves rolled gently behind us as we looked at the monstrosity we'd just raced down. Unfortunately, running down was a hop, skip and a jump, while climbing up the face took the will of an expert.

But together, Megan and I could do anything! The sunlight danced on the particles and the magic crept into our souls. Knowing how to unlock that treasure was a gift we both possessed.

The trek back up the hill was the final transition from cousins, to sisters, to twins. I never envied the twins I met in my early years. What did they have that I didn't already have with Megan? And no matter who they were, no set of twins had anything like Gramma and Grampa's sand hill.

Why this hill had held the secrets of friends, of couples, of long ago Indians, of children, of adults... And today it was graced by the presence of two glamorous movie stars.

To be sure, we weren't famous actresses yet, but as our stepmother harshly ordered us around we were determined to escape. Taking off instead of milking the cows, we walked for days through rough, wild land. Thankfully, just when we couldn't go any further, just when stepmother's evil had almost caught up with us, two men appeared out of nowhere...

Immediately captured by our intense beauty, they helped us over the last cliff into safety. Wouldn't you know our rescuers were casting agents in Hollywood? And being overwhelmed by our beauty and charms, insisted they make us the stars of several upcoming films. Of course we sent money back to Father. He was always in our thoughts. Our sympathetic hearts knew he had no choice but to believe stepmother. She was always so nice to us when he was around.

Our rescuers fell madly in love with us. Who could resist the charm of two twins, dirty, exhausted and days from their last bath? Especially as their stomachs rumbled in hunger.

Thankfully, we heard the clang of a bell, faintly at first, then growing louder. Abandoning our men, Megan and I raced down the hill and across the beach. Up the stone pathway we charged, Up the wooded steps and onto the sharp stones of the driveway. We paused only long enough to rid ourselves of excess dirt before we flung open the porch door, flew across the hall and announced our arrival with the ringing of sleigh bells on the inner door.

Balancing our plates of hot dogs, potato chips and holding a glass of lemonade, we made our way through the kitchen and living room.

"Grampa, you're full of hops!"

"Thanks mom."

"Somebody smells! Do you need to go potty?"

"Best of three?"

"Don't forget to wash your hands."

"Will somebody feed the baby?"

The sounds of family filled the room as an uncle stole chips, a dad tickled and we kids pushed our way to the back deck. Slipping through the screen door we made our way to the wooden swing.

With plates in our laps, food crunching between our teeth, and drinks on the ground, we rocked contently. The air off the lake was cooler now and we decided we'd put on warmer clothes before heading out to watch the sunset.

If the best part of Grampa and Gramma's was the sand hill, a close second was the sunset over Lake Superior. I've lost track of how many sunsets I've seen in my short life but none have been as magnificent as those ushering in summer nights on Sedar Bay.

We would arm ourselves with bug spray, jeans, and long sleeve shirts, and then head up to the beloved pathway. Sitting on the hill, legs dangling over the top, we'd rest against the regal birch. The smooth wood, cool against small backs and surrounded by moss, made the perfect seat. In a blaze of purple, pink, orange and yellow, the sun sank lower and lower until finally disappearing. Only after it took a last glance around before diving under water would we speak.

Quietly now, we headed back to the house. Our trip down the sand hill more sedate, and the walk across the beach- only a walk, we'd make it back to the house that was a home. We walked closely together- somewhere in our hearts knowing, even then, what a precious gift we shared.

Entering the house this time, comforting sights and sounds became new droplets in the well of memories we possessed. Invariably, Grampa was joking around, Gramma was offering salt-water taffy from one of her many candy jars, mom and dad were visiting with the aunts and uncles, cousins were sprawled here and there. The older ones would join in with the parents conversations, while younger ones would read comics or play Sorry. Satisfied with the peace and love in the room, Megan and I would head to the game closet to pick out the Skip-Bo cards and start a new tournament.

"Best of Three?"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know you had a new blog! How exciting...And I just have to ask, this story wasn't one of the ones you wrote for Ms. Presley's class was it? I think the writing sounds more advanced than I remember, but it's in that same vein, haha. Anyway, I miss you! It's good to hear you're doing well and back in MI indefinitely! :)

Michelle F said...

Katie, you write so well. You should give a copy of this to Grandpa and Grandma, I think they would really appreciate it! Love the pictures too!

Katie said...

Leigh, no this was definitely a few years after middle school. I'm not sure when. I've written quite a few little blips about the sand hill..

Karen said...

Why can't I read other people's comments? Mom

Karen said...

I guess I answered my own question. Once I signed on I could read them. Mom

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Katie ~ I love this! You're writing is very fun to read and so descriptive. And oh how it brings back the memories! I could visualize every step you took!

I agree with Michelle, you should make a copy for Grandpa & Grandma! :) They'd love it.

Katie said...

Thanks Jen, and Michelle for your nice comments! I think that I did give Grandpa and Gramma a copy when I worte it, I'll have to check on that!